Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day 2011


Although Matt and I had a lovely evening out to dinner last night, complete with our first-ever paid babysitter (!), the early part of our day was very sweet. We woke up early for coffee and croissants together.




Avonlea even had her first Valentine's date! Wesley Gough (and Jenny) met us at Walnut for breakfast and then a play date at our place afterward. The two did pretty well together, actually. Wesley made Avonlea laugh by making faces, and they even shared a potty time together. I love how kids have no shame.




For Matt's V-Day gift, he got some Theo caramels from Avonlea and Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day from me.

I heard about this book from my friend Rachel, when she brought a gorgeous loaf over for writing group one night and then confessed that she'd made it when I commented that it was still warm. After our baguette making class and adventures a few years ago, we've fallen out of baking practice and are certainly in need of a recipe that doesn't require 12 hours of babysitting. I'm excited to try the pecan sticky rolls, the pizza dough, the flatbread, and the basic boule, of course. I know, it was supposed to be Matt's gift, but I'm hoping he'll share the apron with me. :)

6 comments:

Eleanor Petry said...

Aww, So cute! I want to go to Walnut with you. And that book you got Matt looks cool, I'm hoping I'll eventually get to try out some of your baking ventures. ;) Love you!

Joanna Roddy said...

Thanks, Eleanor! You are the sweetest. :)

Jenny said...

Wes enjoyed his valentine date...I hope you and avo didnt get too disgusted by his pooping, not once, but twice!

whatwhileweslept said...

I heard about this book when a friend brought an awesome-looking loaf over -- am also wanting to try it. Can you imagine fresh pizza crust every night for (what is it?) two weeks???

Rebekah said...

so cute - I have that book and love the ease of it, enjoy!

Rachel said...

I'm glad you bought the book. Your first loaf looked beautiful!