Sunday, February 27, 2011

Turning 30

Wow, wow, wow.

Sipping Stumptown coffee in my pajamas this morning, I am still in awe of what a wonderful 30th birthday I have had this weekend. My friends are truly such creative and generous people and I am left feeling so loved and celebrated, washed in beautiful settings and meaningful interactions.

I spent yesterday celebrating my 30th birthday. The early part of the day was spent relaxing. I went to yoga at the Y and then met up with a group of ladies at Olympus Spa in Lynnwood, a Korean spa with saunas, hot tubs, elemental heat rooms, spa services, and an Asian cafe. The experience of a public bathing culture was a new one for me, and something I'm sure I'll write more about at some point. After a day spent soaking, baking, being with friends and getting a massage, I rendezvoused with Matt and we went to Jenny's for a birthday dinner with a small group of friends.


Jenny and Alisha had been in cahoots with Matt, preparing a feast for the eyes in Jenny's house. They called the aesthetic something like "Vintage Floral Scholastic." I was so thrilled when this little love tent/photo booth greeted me in Jenny's foyer. I had told her how much I had loved this Valentine's Fort on Design*Sponge earlier this month.


Trophy Cupcakes (my favorite) were waiting to be devoured...

And Jenny and Alisha had transformed Jenny's living room into a magical dinner setting with vintage fabrics, glowing lights, handmade floret streamers hanging from the box-beams, mason jars filled with roses and candlelight, and stacks of hardback books. I also made hand-sewn bookmarks as a favor for all the guests.






Alisha whipped up a signature cocktail for the evening, called the Oxford Comma--a mix of Pimms, ginger ale, and fresh fruit. Notice my own use of an Oxford Comma between the words ale and and in the previous sentence.


Dinner was flank steak and Dungeness crab--absolutely delish.

I'm still waiting to get my hands on some of the photo booth shots and other candids from the evening, but here are a few of my sweet friends who blessed me with their presence last night.

Andrew and Stephanie Platter

Elisa--fresh off a string of night shifts (as in ALL night) and a triathlon training session. What a trooper.

Jenny, Jenn, Jessica, and me

What a lovely, lovely evening. The setting and the company were such a gift. I can't think of a better way to have rung in the next decade than with these people on such a magical night.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Wow, what a wonderful celebration. You are loved without measure Joanna Rice Roddy and a blessed and highly favored woman of God! Good friends are to be treasured. And kudos to Matt as well...what a guy!

Kristen said...

what a wonderful day and such a beautiful dinner celebration! i'm delighting in all of those sweet details that were put in place to honor you, joey. just beautiful, and so fun! happy 30th to you!

Casey said...

Wow, that is one amazing party! Those girls really know what they are doing :) Happy 30th!