Monday, February 21, 2011

Design inspiration from classic kids lit

Look at this lovely illustration from The Travels of Babar:

Isn't that just the sort of thing to get your little one inspired to go on adventures to places with tall cypress, wide bays filled with sailboats racing on a fast wind, and red-tiled roofs? Italy, anyone?

The full spread is even better, and though my camera couldn't capture it as well as I would have liked, here it is:

"The land of the elephants is now far away. The balloon glides noiselessly in the sky. Babar and Celeste admire the landscape below. What a beautiful journey! The air is balmy, the wind is gentle. There is the ocean, the big blue ocean."

This isn't the first time that one of Avonlea's storybooks has got me all dreamy-eyed. Does anyone remember the Little Golden Book, The Color Kittens? As soon as I laid eyes on it again (one of my favorites when I was little), I couldn't help thinking about how perfect it would be for a design theme in a nursery. Image a rose-mural headboard, mustard yellow crib. Owls and comets swooping against a black ceiling, or a teal green river with fish running through it. Could be very inspiring!




And last of all, I can't help imagining, every time I see this illustration from Goodnight Moon, what it would be like to replicate it in real life. Imagine having that gorgeous hearth in your child's room! But even if you don't live in an English manor house, I bet with a healthy dose of creativity, you could go pretty far to create a space as classic, whimsical, and magical as "the great green room."

Happy dreaming!

1 comment:

Eleanor Petry said...

Ooh, I love that Babar Picture! YOu're so cool!